Friday, July 5, 2013

Don't Forget Your SPF! (Sweet Potato Fries)

All I can say is, thank goodness I live in the era that sweet potato fries (SPF) are popular! I absolutely love them and as a vegan, ordering french fries has often been my only option at some restaurants. I do notice I am much more achy after eating white potatoes, so I am thrilled when a restaurant has SPF's. Again, I was inspired by Chocolate Covered Katie's Crispy Homemade Sweet Potato Fries. Mine didn't turn out as crispy but were still delicious. I ate my whole batch myself (one large sweet potato). I experimented and baked half and fried half. Neither got crispy, but they both tasted good.


Don't Forget Your SPF!
1-2 servings
Protein per recipe: approx 5 g

1 large sweet potato
salt
garlic powder
onion granules

Coconut or Olive Oil cooking spray (for baking)
2-3 Tbs Coconut or Olive Oil  (for frying)

Cut your sweet potato into strips about 1/4 inch thick.

For baking:
Place on cookie tray, spray with  oil of choice, turning to coat. Shake salt, garlic powder and onion granules. Place in 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes, turning at least once. (Chocolate Covered Katie's reader suggests you put them on parchment paper to absorb moisture. I'll try that next time.)

For frying:
Heat oil in pan. Pat down fries to remove excess moisture to lessen splatter. Carefully place fries in hot oil. Turn as they are cooking to evenly cook and brown. They can "go" and burn fast. When done (5 minutes), place on paper towels to drain oil. Sprinkle on salt, garlic and onion. I'm sure a deep-fat fryer would work, too, I just don't own one.

Serve by themselves or with a dip. I used my "NoMato Marinara," recipe to follow soon. A vegan ranch would be great, too and I'll experiment with making a Paleo/AIP recipe soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment