Thursday, July 4, 2013

How an unplanned day can undo your diet



Happy 4th of July everyone!

I sincerely hope your day is full of safe fun and good (gut-friendly) foods!

I have to admit I have sort of jumped into this whole project without planning every single possible detail. I did a two-week trial run a couple months ago, so I familiarized myself with it. I've also been a veg'n (to me that means vegan or vegetarian) for about 20 years, so that part I have down. But hey, take away my nuts and beans and I am at a loss...well, that's the whole point of this blog.

I'm OK when I'm at home. I've stocked my fridge and pantry with plenty of project-friendly foods, so  I can whip together decent (and even great) meals fairly easily. What I don't have experience with yet is being out and about and getting hungry before I get home.

At the last minute, yesterday became an "out and about" day. I had a dental appointment in the "big" town about 20 minutes from home. Well, all the good shopping is near there, so I decided to daisy-chain a bunch of other stops to the day (Trader Joe's, Target, Pier 1).

I hadn't eaten a proper breakfast (just a red smoothie*) and knew I needed more. Finding vegan gluten-free food on the run is hard enough, but this is tougher.

Long story short...I did pretty well. At Target I bought a water and a Mango Smoothie at the restaurant (she assured me it was truly just mango and water/ice) and then a banana in the grocery section. Two hours later, before heading home, I stopped at Burger King and bought a small order of  Sweet Potato Fries. I'm sure they were not cooked it olive or coconut oil, but I made that concession for the sake of my tummy and head. Lesson learned. I'll start planning.

It's also about the whole Perfectionism thing. I fight against it since it makes me Procrastinate. So, instead of trying to be "perfect" and have my whole 30 days planned out right down to every snack and situation, I plunged in with a fairly full tool bag, just an empty planner! I DO believe planning is essential to success with a change like this, don't get me wrong. And I will live and learn as I go and get better about planning my days and time out of the house.

When I got home I had a few bites of extra firm tofu (my modification to no soy) and made sure I made a good dinner.*

* Recipe and post to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment