Monday, July 1, 2013

Salute to Cilantro Smoothie




Salute to Cilantro Smoothie
Makes 1-2 servings
Approximate protein per recipe: 13 g

1/2 cup raw almonds (soaked overnight would be best)
1 cup water (coconut water would be great)
3 baby carrot
1 small plum
small bunch cilantro
1 green onion
handful of greens (mine was 50/50 baby spinach and mixed greens)
2-3 ice cubes to cool it down
optional: salt to taste
optional: 1/4 - 1/2 tsp natural horseradish

Whir in blender. I use a Vitamix, so I don't really have to chop up well or go in any order. You know your own blender.

If you hate cilantro, just use parsley and call this "Salute to Parsley."

Nut-free version: Just omit nuts. To keep it thick, and balance your carbs with some fat, you could add 1/2 to a whole avocado.

I was going to wait a day and play catch-up with posting my meals,  but I was just so excited about this one I had to post right away. I'm an experienced smoothie-maker, both sweet and green, and this just came to me as I went. I knew I wanted to start with almond milk from raw almonds, and I decided to not strain them to keep all the protein and fiber. You can strain yours if you want, of course. This really makes a nice smoothie/soup/sauce with any of the first 3 to all of the ingredients. I tasted it at each step and realized I'd love to pour this over veggies or eat as a cold soup. I added horseradish for my second serving since I would add a little Siracha hot sauce to my green smoothies for some kick. But alas, that is made from peppers (nightshades) and who knows what else.

No comments:

Post a Comment