Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Like White on Rice

In researching the Paleo diet, I came across the idea of using grated cauliflower* and daikon radish as a substitute for rice. It's actually pretty tasty and I enjoyed coming up with this version.



Like White on Rice

2-3 servings
Protein per recipe: Approx. 8g

1-2 Tbs coconut oil

1/3 onion, sliced or chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 daikon radish, grated
1/3 small cauliflower head, grated
1 med zucchini, grated
salt/pepper to taste
coconut aminos to taste (1-2 Tbs)
1 green onion, chopped for garnish

Heat pan with oil, cook onions until glistening. Add garlic and cook a minute.

Mix grated items in a large bowl. (I grated these easily and quickly in my 30 year-old food processor.) Mix in spices and aminos. Place grated mixture in pan, mix with onions. Set on medium heat and watch carefully. You can get these to brown a little like hash browns, but they can burn easily, too. Stir and flip until browned and cooked to your liking, about 10 minutes. Serve like rice by itself or top with your favorite protein. Garnish with chopped green onion.

*Cauliflower has been known to give me terrible gas. I will be interested to see if this goes away after continuing to eat it or if I can find a happy limit. I love the versatility of this food as a rice and potato substitute, and would hate to think this is one of my "no-no" foods. Does anyone else have this problem? Any solutions?

1 comment:

  1. This sounds good. I've always been interested in Daikon radishes but have never used them. I LOVE cauliflower "mashed potatoes" so "rice" ought to be good as well.

    ReplyDelete