Sunday, July 28, 2013

One month...oy

I am just about to come to my one-month mark of being on the this diet. I have not been "100%" strict, but I think I run a good 95% overall. I am trying for 100%, but some days I just come undone, as the song goes.

The days that I come undone are when I haven't pre-prepared enough food. Or it turns into a super busy day and I just finished all my prepared stuff the night before. I haven't come up with a lot of stuff you can eat "on the fly" on this diet, which goes to show you how easy it is to become reliant on commercially prepared foods. Well, sort of. I think it's really just when I am are trying to eat very healthy foods (whether or not on this VPAPP diet), I have to rely on things that take more than 5 seconds to prepare...or grab out of the fridge or box. Or made by someone else in a factory. But I'm learning, and this is a journey. It's a whole new way to think and even though I do new things all the time, especially around food, it's still hard.

I love fruit, and am happy to eat that...but both these diets caution against eating TOO much fruit.

I love olives, and bought a giant jar of Kalamata olives from Costco. It became my fast food last week. Either by themselves or with come avocado or on top of a nice bed of mixed greens. But they are high in fat/salt and offer no protein.

I haven't seen a large loss in weight. I have come down bout 4 pounds overall from day one, but believe me when I say that loss can disappear OVERNIGHT, and I see 170 in the morning once again. Maybe this means I need another whole month. I dunno. Pain issues are at about a 5 out of 10, which isn't bad since I haven't gotten back to any exercise program or any swimming in the whole month. (That's bad, I know. But I did have that tooth extracted...and had to lay low for a week....yes, that week is over...)

I got desperate for "real" food the other day and had a vegan soy taquito that had been in the freezer for awhile. The biggest ingredient was corn (and soy, but I am doing soy), so I thought, well, let's just see what happens, and make corn my first food to add back in. I then had some Fritos corn chips, too. Yes, it would have been much smarter and healthier to add in, oh, let's say, some REAL unprocessed corn, frozen or maybe even fresh? No, desperate moments call for stupid decisions and I ate crap corn! Not sure if it was related, but later I had some extra "reflux" that I hadn't had in awhile. So. I've stopped corn. I might pick it up again later to see, because I'd really like to be able to eat corn tortillas again. Those Paleo Wraps are wonderful, but I'd like to send my daughter to college one day.

I also had some potato chips one day and I immediately swelled and my fingers were boated. Ok, that's a sign.

I have a super busy week coming up since I offered to host a day camp for my daughter and some of her friends. Yes, a real day-camp every day from 9-3 including a field trip! Including feeding them lunch and snacks! Luckily I will only feed them very healthy things and I can eat most of it myself.

I haven't made the final decision to go another month or not. I'll attempt to stay on it this week, and make the decision at the end of the week. My main focus was weight loss and pain remission and neither has happened, so I believe I should go one more month before I add anything more back into my diet. The first time I tried the AIP, I went two weeks. This time it has been almost four. Maybe I'll aim for six and re-evaluate.

I'd love feedback from any other vegetarians or vegans who have tried this or something similar...let's support each other on this journey, OK?

Margaret
The Coastal Vegan Cave Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment